Insurance 101


Are there any insurance issues to consider now that my son/daughter is heading off to college?

As long as your son/daughter lives on campus and is a full-time student, your home or renters' insurance covers the belongings he/she takes to college. Still, it's a good idea to do an inventory of his/her possessions because the policy's coverage limit might be too low to cover some items, such as a laptop, flat-screen TV, iPod or sports equipment. You may need to purchase a personal property floater or endorsement to provide full coverage for everything.

If your son/daughter lives off campus, it is a better idea to have a separate renters' insurance policy to cover his/her belongings.

If your son/daughter takes a family car to college, you should let your agent know the new garaging address for the car.

If your son/daughter owns the title to the car, he/she should have his/her own car insurance policy reflecting the location of the vehicle at college.

See more frequently asked questions.

Make A Payment Request A Quote Report A Claim Service Request


© Pilat Insurance Agency Inc.5925 Ridge Road, Parma, Ohio  44129-3996      Phone: 440-888-1150